In “Slogan Postal Markings of Canada in the 1931-40 Period” postal slogans are divided into two broad classifications. The first is Proprietary Slogans, normally sponsored by private organizations to promote local events or causes, although occasionally including Pot Office originated postal directive slogans applying only to a specific office. These are used only by a single office, sometimes for a single year only or also spread over-several years. They are first listed by offices-by years, to satisfy geographical interests, then the same data is rearranged by-years-by offices, to better satisfy chronological interests.
The second classification is Multi-Office Usage Slogans, the larger group of slogans that were used concurrently in from several to a great many offices. These-include not only most oi the postal directives, but also Federal Government sponsored slogans advertising national events or policies, such as-the sale of government securities, the 50th anniversary of Confederation, or the preservation of natural resources. They also include privately sponsored slogans of national, rather than only local, causes or events, such as the sale of Poppies in connection with Remembrance Day ceremonies or the controversial exhortation to 0bserve Sunday. Used for a single year or extending over many years, these slogans are listed alphabetically and then chronologically.
The increasing use of slogan machines continued in the 1930-40 period, but certain events much influenced the number and nature of the slogans. In 1930 the post office-initiated a change over from the rented Universal type machines, that had been in use from 1919, to government-owned Perfect machines. By late 1934 all major and many minor offices had been converted to Perfects machines. Because the Perfect machines could not employ slogan dies manufactured for Universal machines, all dies that had been in use from 1919 were effectively obsoleted. Dies for many early Postal Directive slogans were replaced. In a further policy change in 1938, the Post Office began a massive campaign to promote its airmail service, which had been introduced in 1928.
54 pages, 8.5″ x 11″, cirulox bound.